In signing up for any Defy event you are agreeing to have you or your child used in any promotional content. This may include Images, or video on any social media platforms, magazines, etc.
Any and all personal information such as, names, addresses, email address, or other personal info will not be shared with any third party. Defy Athletix will not share or sell any of this information with any persons or businesses.
Defy Athletix does not have access to any credit card or billing information after you have purchased a product or service.
Sales & Refunds
NOMAD TRAVEL GOAL:
We exchange for any damaged or non-working equipment. All refunds/exchanges are due within 30 days of purchase. We do not refund for any damages due to rough use.
All sales are final.
Subject to change: If for any reason an event is postponed to a later date and/or time, all sales remain final and you will be notified of the new date, location and time.
If an event is cancelled, we will let you know and a refund will be provided. A postponed event does not qualify as a cancellation.
Future credit: We provide credit for a future event if you are unable to attend the event as a result of an injury or sudden medical condition (one year credit). You must provide a doctors note and apply for your credit HERE.
Program Partnership 25% deposits are non-refundable. If you need to change the original event date, Defy will do its best to work with you, but is not obligated to any agreed date change. The remaining event fee (75%) is non-refundable.
If weather brings delays to the event, Defy and the host will do everything possible to make the event occur (finding indoor facility, etc). If we have to delay a day due to weather we can do this as well. Weather issues do not permit the hosting party to run the event on a different date outside of the scheduled date unless it's the following day.